Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Valentines Day is for Suckas

I know this is a late post, but it still has relevance. Many of you all know that I boycotted Valentine's Day this year because it's a stupid Hallmark Holiday, in my opinion and I just think it's kind of lame. One of my favorite media personalities, Roland Martin, wrote a column about this topic, and I just found it tonight so I'm posting it even though Vday was last weekend!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DON'T BE MY VALENTINE
BY ROLAND S. MARTIN

Editor's note: A nationally syndicated columnist, Roland S. Martin is the author of "Listening to the Spirit Within: 50 Perspectives on Faith" and "Speak, Brother! A Black Man's View of America." Visit his Web site for more information.

(CNN) -- With retailers hurting and the U.S. president trying to encourage Americans to spend money to restore consumer confidence, what I'm about to say may seem like treason. But here goes: Please boycott Valentine's Day and all that is associated with this horrendous "holiday."

For several years I have ripped into Valentine's Day. Not because I'm against love and relationships, but mainly because the holiday is such a farce.

First of all, Valentine's Day is not built around a religious event like Christmas or Easter; nor does it have any special meaning to the nation such as Memorial Day or Veterans Day.

It is nothing more than a commercial holiday created by rabid retailers who needed a major shopping day between Christmas and Easter in order to give people a reason to spend money.

Now folks, I love my wife. She is truly an awesome woman who is smart, talented, fine, and, did I say fine? But do I really need a special day to show my affection for her?

READ ENTIRE COLUMN

No comments:

Post a Comment